Why I don’t like Math

I don’t like Math with or without a calculator. When I was in grade school, I struggled to pass my Math subject. As a child, I did not understand why I had to memorize the multiplication table. To me, there was no peace in fractions, remainder, dividends. In college, I could not find significance of algebra in my life. In music, I cannot tell how many beats are there in a measure. In reading a newspaper, I choose to read commentary, entertainment section over business section because of its numerical data. If one asks me, how far is Las Pinas from Quezon city, I will not answer in kilometers. I’ll just say it feels like traveling all over the Philippines. I don’t like anything that has to do with numbers. That’s why I never love money.

Now that I’m old, I change my perspective. I don’t like Math, not only because of my mental ability, but because Math requires standard measurement and a certain level of accuracy. Forever, one plus one equals two, not slightly two or almost two.

I like to see things as relative and as subjective as they are. Because when there is no measurement, no accuracy, one can build his or her imagination and interpretation. For instance, “an endless night” is better said than  “12 hours without sleep.” And when a boy wants to flatter a girl, he might use geometry. Hence, he will say, “You are mathematically beautiful. Your face is in proportion. The proportions of the length of the nose, the position of  your eyes and the length of your chin all conform to some aspect of the Golden Ratio

It might be a meaningful compliment but it is not as romantic as Shakespeare would woo a woman. ” Shall I compare thee to a summer’s day. Thou art more lovely and more temperate… But thy eternal summer shall not fade. Nor lose possession of that fair thou ow’st, nor shall death brag thou wand’rest in his shade. When in eternal lines to Time thou grows’t.”

In practical application, numbers might be involved in relationships. Imagine a husband asking his wife, “Do you love me?” And she will reply: “ We’ve been together for more than ten years. I cook your meals. I wash your laundry. I clean your house. I press your clothes. “ Is it not sad to know that love can be measured by length of time and by number of deeds?

With measurement comes perfection. People become obsessed with numbers. A perfect female body has a vital statistics of 34-24-36. As I watch beauty pageant, I wonder do they really look perfect in my eyes or is it the mind that tells me they look sexy because of their vital statistics? In school, students compete to meet high grades. Academics try to measure one’s excellence in essay, art, performance when in truth these things largely depend on the nature of audience. With the world of  numbers, anything can be quantified. Numbers set the bar. Hence, there is top 1 and top 2.

The purpose of  Science and Math is to understand the world. But I’d rather leave  some things incomprehensible, unfathomable. Without Math, age doesn’t matter.  Transcript of records does not matter. Everything could have been make-believe without Math.

P.S.  I don’t like Math but I happen to love people who like Math. Happy Birthday to my mathematician friend, Sol Mariano.

1. Anonymous
    Aug 01, 2012 @ 23:00:03

uyy, si ate rima, kinikilig kay you know, haha, I think opposite attracts talaga, haha, Baka you love Math more than I do ngayon…:)

To JackieB and Marya, salamat for always being there when I’m bored or sad, hihi. You two are one of my most treasured friends, super friends.

I miss Room 104 too. Sayang di natin nakakasama si ate ella, ibang level na kasi siya, haha. 🙂

2. Anonymous
    Aug 01, 2012 @ 22:56:34

haha, finally I found space to comment, you have to post a link pala first in my FB so that I comment, anyway, Thank you very much again. But honestly, I hate Math at first. hihi
    When I was in first grade, I didn’t like Math. But my feeling towards the subject changed because my mother told me that during her time, she was the brightest Math student in her class. Somehow, that inspired me and suddenly I happen to embrace the subject. haha. But not all Math inclined people don’t describe beauty like how you think all of us would. hihi. Some would also prefer the Shakespeare way. 🙂

3. Jay
    Aug 01, 2012 @ 04:08:21

What drivel. And I don’t like English.

4. Marya
    Jul 31, 2012 @ 11:26:55

Ahhh! How sweet! heheh. Happy Birthday Sol!!! Nakakamiss ang Room 104!!!

Natuwa at natawa naman ako sa post na ‘to pero I don’t share your sentiment kasi favorite subject ko ang Math nung elementary at high school.

You should read John Green’s Fault in Our Stars, ang galing nung mathematical metaphors. I also think Isaac Newton’s “Law of Universal Gravitation” is romantic. 🙂

• JackieB
      Aug 01, 2012 @ 13:25:21

nahiya naman ako sayo… ikaw na… ikaw na ang mahilig ng Math… kaya pala, type mo si ehem…hehe…suggestion, sulat ka kaya why I like Math…hehe..ayeee…at baka sakaling mabasa ni ehem 😀

• Marya
        Aug 01, 2012 @ 16:07:49

Grabe ka talaga Jacklyn…huhuhu…alam mo namang maliit lang ang blogosphere at nababasa ng lahat ang blog mo. anong type type ka diyan! Wala akong type noh…Atsaka medyo cynical pa ako sa love. Kelangan ko munang maka-PHD! hahah

Na-misinterpret mo na naman ang sinasabi ko…nagandahan nga ako sa pagkakasulat mo sa post na ‘to eh… ang cute lalo na yung geometry vs. Shakespeare. Atsaka mataas din kaya ang grade mo sa Math noh…kaklase kita nung HS at masyado kang madaldal nung college kaya memorize ko grades mo sa CRS.

5. zezil
    Jul 31, 2012 @ 09:10:59

Quotable quotes:

The purpose of Science and Math is to understand the world. But I’d rather leave some things incomprehensible, unfathomable.

I don’t like Math but I happen to love people who like Math.

Good read.=)))