Top Complaints of Twenty-Something

When you are in your twenties, you feel like you are rushing towards the age of thirty. You think something must happen. You want to see changes. You are eager to see improvement in your life. With all these thoughts running in your head, comes your favorite hobby, complaining. I complain a lot. When I talk to my friends, I realize we are complaining over the same things. Here are some of common complaints I hear from my age group.

“Life is not fair.”
You look around your peers. You wonder why other people get things so easy. You tell yourself life is not fair because others have achieved more than you do. Others get what they want on first try while you on the other hand are stuck with your no-success life. But before you conclude life is not fair, think about how many injustices are happening in the world. There are many forced disappearances, lost families, and lost lives. As long as you are not a victim of crime or any natural calamity, you have no right to complain life is not fair.

“I have a boring life.”
Boredom is a good or bad sign of a healthy life. If you have a boring life, it might mean absence of major problems in your life or it might also mean you are not taking risk to reach greater heights. Think about it. My five-year old niece complains to her mom, “I’m so very bored.” My sister then replies, “You have to be bored. It’s normal to be bored.”

“I don’t have a high paying job.”
When I hear people complaining about salary wages, I like to be preachy. I want to tell them: “Think about the factory workers, the fishermen, the farmers. They sweat like hell yet they earn less than you do. While you on the other hand, spend eight hours chilling in an air-conditioned room and the only busy part of your body are your fingers. What you only have is a college diploma that makes you different form the rest. You have to know what “high paying” means.

“I don’t have my dream job.”
What is exactly your dream job? To be a movie star? A novelist? A film maker? CEO? An astronaut? If your dream job sounds like one of these, you need not to complain. Seriously, how many people in the world are employed with these kinds of jobs?

“I don’t have a love life.”
My friend tells me, “ I wish I have a boyfriend. I wish I have a love life.” Deep inside, I want to tell her, ”If you only knew the pain of loving, you would not have wished for it.” I keep this to myself because I do not want to sound pathetic in front of my friend. Logically speaking, are you ready to get married? Do you want to have kids? Okay, the chances may be slim of having a husband in your pursuit of having a boyfriend. But what if you fall in love with the man of your dreams, and then he suddenly asks you if you want to marry him? Will you say, “Yes”? If any of your answers is “No”, then be careful what you wish for.

“Nobody loves me.”
Love is not measured by the number of fans or friends in Facebook. You’ll meet a lot of people but most of them will only be acquaintances. Some will be your friends for special occasions. Some will be friends for business. But a small group of friends is definitely okay. In fact, if there is only one person in this world who loves you, you have enough reason to survive.

Okay I know I am complaining about these complaints. I just want to tell you that: If you have the same sentiments as those listed above, then you are not the most miserable human being in the world. You are not a product of unfortunate events. Therefore, you can conclude you are absolutely normal. This means anything you complain is not worth complaining.

1. mirrorprincess
    Aug 14, 2012 @ 06:39:36

“I wish I have a boyfriend, I wish I have a lovelife?”

Oh no! This is so me!

More complains more wrinkles, more wrinkles less chances of having boyfriend. Better smile while waiting than do a lot of complaining.

Thanks for this post, it talks about reality. 🙂

• JackieB
      Aug 14, 2012 @ 22:59:19

haha “more wrinkles less chances of having boyfriend” yah, better smile to increase your chances of having a boyfriend – i mean “our” chances hehe

2. ikay
    Apr 07, 2012 @ 04:20:13

hahaha..so true!

3. ivanlabayne
    Mar 19, 2012 @ 11:36:39

for not having our dream job, or a high-paying one, and having a boring life, let us just go get them, or make them. i do not want to believe that we are all just products, effects of our circumstances. let us be proactive, and do something pretty, poetic, artsy, revolutionary, what-have-you. or blog, and engage with people, even only here. 🙂

• Jacklyn Belo
      Mar 20, 2012 @ 10:54:17

yes, indeed. instead of complaining, do something to get your dream job and dream life.. but let us not be far sighted nor near sighted.. because sometimes we fail to appreciate the things we already have 🙂

4. ivanlabayne
    Mar 19, 2012 @ 11:31:51

on having a boring life, not having your dream job or a high-paying one, just go make them get them. i do not want to believe that we are all just products, effects of our circumstances. yes this society limits our options, makes us go up against belittling discrimination, limiting labels, but we can still be proactive even in its face. so for all of us twenty-something people moping about ourselves and the world, let’s just do something pretty, poetic, artsy, revolutionary, what-have-you. or blog. 🙂

5. c2c8
    Mar 14, 2012 @ 05:45:56

Im 21 y/o but I already experience all of these things. I already feel like I am in a middle life crisis. But thanks for this post.=)

6. peppyvagabond
    Mar 10, 2012 @ 22:44:02

spot on Jack. I’ve had all these complaints too at some point in my life. Lately, when I think of all the things that did not fall quite right into place, one thought leads to another and in the end I just feel miserable. #1 on my list too is how unfair life is. so i reckon, I need a dose of optimism and some hard eye-opener even if that comes in an episode in Reel time about foreigner beggars in the Philippines (though still a case of colonial mentality for some). well sometimes, Ijust got to count my blessings. 🙂

7. johnreiner
    Mar 06, 2012 @ 07:34:31

”If you only knew the pain of loving, you would not have wished for it.”
    Ang bitter naman nito. Love, no matter how great or painful, is a feeling you will always want to have.

8. cestlavie22
    Mar 05, 2012 @ 14:52:51

This is such a cute post 🙂 I have to say I am a complainer but I think I wouldnt be me if I wasnt lol. Optimism seems boring I like anticipating the worst so I can be pleasantly surprised when it doesnt turn out that bad 🙂

9. marya
    Mar 05, 2012 @ 14:41:29

Hoy jak, sino ba ang friend na yan na walang boyfriend? Sino ba yang mahilig magcomplain.haha. parang kilala ko siya.. hahah 😛

10. lapiskamay
    Mar 05, 2012 @ 12:19:16

your welcome jackie. 🙂

11. Julisar Anino
    Mar 04, 2012 @ 13:31:53

… I do complain a lot, and I did learn something from it; “I’m not getting away from the problem”. My Supervisor always tells us to compare yourself to others (not in a negative way, in Sugbuanon, it’s what we call, “Pamalandungan”). Those lists are common to what my colleagues usually complain about, especially on the “I don’t have a high paying job”. Well, my only complain is, “Why can’t I get a Day-Off on Sundays?”. I wanna spend more time with my Brothers and Sisters in God, though I’m living with my relatives here on where I’m at (my parents and brothers are on the other Island), yet I’m not getting the environment of a real Christian family.

12. PM
    Mar 04, 2012 @ 08:54:00

i’m a 20-something and i guess i’m just happy i am not complaining about these things! 😀

13. lapiskamay
    Mar 04, 2012 @ 03:57:14

Chicken Soup for the Youngblood Soul.
    nice points, don’t the “I wish I have more free time to do my stuffs” that’s really my all time favorite complaint, the rest are just circumstantial. hahahaha.