Rediscovering The Bodyguard

I have been suffering from Whitney fever for the entire week. Her death made all people rediscovered her music, movies, and interviews. I tried to look for a copy of The Bodyguard. It was my earliest memories of Whitney Houston. I was probably six years old when  I first watched the movie. All I could remember was she sang “I have nothing” but everything else in the movie was incomprehensible and forgettable for a six-year old.

Now, as an adult, I understand why the movie was a big hit. It reminded me of suspense novels I used to read. The suspense, the action, the romance were there. Like suspense novels, it tries to give you clues on who’s the person who want to kill the superstar Rachel Marron (Whitney Houston) but you end up surprise at the end of the movie. It was not really a love story movie with three kissing scenes, and one bed scene (which was not really a bed scene). But it was romantic in the sense that you want more of them together. You want them to end up together. I think a pinch of romance makes you want to have more. You just have to reconcile in your head that the movie should end and be like that.

I like the characters Frank Farmer and Rachel Marron. Frank seems to be a hard-to-get guy. He was snobbish, quiet, witty, and attractive. Kevin Costner was so handsome to be a bodyguard. I wonder why all these years, this is the only time I learn to appreciate the looks of Kevin Costner. I could not help but stare and study his looks. His eyes were soul-captivating. And it’s hard for me to accept that a few years from now, he’s going to be a senior citizen.

Whitney was natural in portraying the role of Rachel. Kevin Costner was right in choosing Whitney for the role. She nailed it. It could have been Barbara Streisand or any other singer but no one could have been better than her as said by Kevin Costner in an interview.

They have an interesting chemistry. And chemistry cannot be explained through colors. It’s such a pleasant sight to see mixed races. As a line from her song, “Share my life, take me for what I am, coz I’ll never change all my colors for you.”

The Bodyguard soundtrack is one of the best-selling soundtracks of all time. There’s a reason why the songs of The Bodyguard are part of our consciousness. The reason is Whitney sang them. The songs would just be ordinary songs if Whitney was not the one who sang them. She made those songs complicated to sing. I just found out that “I will always love you” is a country song, originally sung by Dolly Parton. The soundtrack brought so much influence to singers today. Songs from The Bodyguard are the popular choices in singing contests.  Matthew Morrison, Glee star, was one of the fans of The Bodyguard soundtrack.

After I finished watching the movie, I was saddened by the fact that the success of the movie did not translate the success of Whitney’s personal life.

How………

How I wish I have a bodyguard….

1. johnreiner
    Feb 24, 2012 @ 01:54:55

Natakot ako na binilang mo kung ilan ang kissing scenes at “bed scene.” Naghahanap ka pala ng bodyguard, madami dyan, hehehe. 😀

2. Julisar Anino
    Feb 19, 2012 @ 14:24:39

when I hear and remember this movie, I always have this song in my head; “Run to You”… My parents used to have a VHS on this movie before, and it was almost a week that they were watching it… I didn’t understand entirely why Whitney needed a bodyguard at that movie, all I know is that Kevin C. is just trying to make money by saving his client and they have some sparkling moments that both of them end up crossing the line. And this movie show’s that guys can’t do a perfect job, specially when a female is on the middle of it… LoL! just kidding… I can’t blame Kevin C… Whitney was beautiful at that time (I was watching the Music video on Youtube – and so I’ve found out that the burial was very exclusive, so I just watched some of her piece). 😀

• Jacklyn Belo
      Feb 19, 2012 @ 14:42:56

You better watch the movie again hehe.. peace! :)…. he wasn’t “trying to make money.” To be accurate, he was “making money”. It was his job, his livelihood

• Julisar Anino
        Feb 21, 2012 @ 10:20:12

… I stand corrected… Making Money pala. naErbof na ang aking English… Hehehe… kaya nga “The Bodyguard” noh, hindi “The Expendables”. I’ll try to watch it (just ignore the word “TRY”). 😀

3. Jacklyn Belo
    Feb 19, 2012 @ 07:43:08

haha…. yes I did my research.. you better watch guys, you’ll end up wanting to have a bodyguard.hehe You can borrow my copy 🙂

4. marya
    Feb 18, 2012 @ 14:53:57

hahaha, jack, ang haba ng blog…:) ikaw na ang no.1 fan

5. lapiskamay
    Feb 18, 2012 @ 14:35:34

panoorin ko na nga rin to. di ko na ma.alala ang movie na to. hehe. ^_^ nice job.

6. Jacklyn Belo
    Feb 18, 2012 @ 14:01:44

you should. Like it’s my first time to watch the movie.. i mean as a grown-up…. It’s a likeable movie 🙂

7. cestlavie22
    Feb 18, 2012 @ 13:37:40

I have really been considering watching this. I first heard about it when Melanie Amaro (ugh) sang I have nothing on X factor. I know that is pretty sad that I hadnt heard of the movie until then but that is the case. However, my disgust of Melanie Amaro overshadowed my curiosity in this movie and I never got to watching it. However, in light of recent events I might just go and watch this too!