Age Defying?

While other women search for anti-aging cream, I am hoping someone can invent a cosmetic product that will help me look old. Who knows maybe there is really a product of pro-aging? Perhaps, it is not well-known because people find it silly to ask a saleslady if they sell an item promising its customers that they will look older. If nothing has been made, Olay or Dove should probably make a solution. I just like the companies of health and beauty and dermatologists to know that there are clients like me who need to be addressed.

I do not seem to understand why many people want to look young. In my life, there are more disadvantages than advantages of looking young. It has often been debated that age does not matter. My stand is that real age does not matter but perceived age does matter.

Recently, I had almost argued to a lady security guard at the airport. Before I entered, she asked how old I was. There was a short pause as if she were evaluating if what I said was true. Then I called out my sister who was waiting for me to say my final goodbye. My sister confirmed with a laugh that I was definitely twenty something. The security guard smiled and said, “ It’s not obvious.” (Too late, I was already humiliated.)

This is not the first time that my age was questionable for traveling. There was a time when I had to accompany my nieces to Cebu. We spent a night at the barge. Some passengers were surprised that we were traveling alone without any other adults. To come to think of it, I was already of legal age. Even today, I still notice ticketing officers, strangers at the seaport, cabin crew, taxi drivers doubting my real age. They may not speak out loud but I know that they are studying how I look.

I really have a problem of my age appearance. I can not watch an R-18 movie freely without the movie theater’s personnel questioning my age. In moments like these, I feel like yelling to them and say, “I’m already a college student. And yes, I am not 18 years old. I am no longer 18 years old! ”

My perceived age has affected my way of living in big effects or in small effects. Young appearance is also equated to innocence. Whenever I am in the university, they think I am a freshie. I see some of my schoolmates are confused on calling me, “Ate.” I really don’t mind though. I get used to it and accept it as a compliment.

Now, I make sure I wear my glasses when I am riding a taxi all alone at night. I need it not only for my poor vision at night but also for my security. The taxi driver might think I am a lost child. The best protection is to pretend that I know where I am going and to look like an adult by wearing eyeglasses.

But my eyeglasses fail to hide my girly look. It can not reveal my age, either. Even if I wear slacks and business suit, I am still looking at a ten-year old girl playing her mother’s clothes in front of the mirror. I do not even think growing inches taller will help me look like a genuine adult. Maybe, it has something to do with my baby fats, my size or my face. Maybe everything in me makes me young. My actions? I can be very childish. But even if I sit silently in the corner, they will still think I am in my early teens.

It is better to look like a sweet ten-year-old girl than to look like an unattractive 22-year-old hag but it pays a price. A ten-year-old girl can not pass a job interview, can not travel by herself, can not watch ex-rated films without a chaperon, can not walk on the streets at night. So, if ever someone will find the fountain of youth, he should think again if he should sip the water coming from it or not.

But then,

who cares how long I have lived in this world?

1. Jack D.
    Mar 06, 2014 @ 03:32:59

I have always lied about my age… when I was 25 I told everyone I was 43… and they believed me… Now I’m 50+ and I just tell everyone my real age.

I guess the point to this is just work hard and try not to worry too much what others are thinking about you. because they are probably worrying about themselves and less about you then you think they are. that time you spend worrying about what others think you could instead be spending on reading the bible and then talking about it with people you run into on the street.

Jack

• jackieB
      Mar 06, 2014 @ 22:02:00

i absolutely agree to worry less on what other people think…. but i just felt we are living in a world of ironies.beauty capaitalists would endorse youthful beauty while getting a job in some industry require experience and matured age.. but yes, you are right that people don’t care much about you.. age and appearance are shallow issues

• Jack D.
        Mar 07, 2014 @ 03:51:17

But I agree with you too. Our world we live in has so much ironies every where you look. It’s probably worse for women then it is for men. In general women in a strong bible based family are taught/raised along the lines of Proverbs 31… Its kind of a super woman mentality. Its not a bad thing. but rather empowering. Her beauty is on the outside and on the inside. Her strength is known by everyone by the way she cares for everyone around her. Then contrast that with how secular society in general views women. Without a biblical base, a woman must rely on her beauty and business acumen to survive and dominate in life. Thus she will have a strong reliance on those who sell the beauty solutions and age defying creams/lotions. I don’t know much about you but from what I have read, you seem to have a lot of Proverbs 31 about you, even though you might not realize it yet or agree with this statement. but thats ok.

• Jack D.
        Mar 07, 2014 @ 04:03:06

The verse reference: Proverbs 31:10-31 (sorry I should have been more clear). Anyways I know you say you aren’t going to ever marry. I used to say the same thing and then one day Jesus brought a really wonderful woman into my life. He may do the same thing for you someday and bring the right man into your life as well.

• jackieB
        Mar 07, 2014 @ 09:44:07

I did not say that I’m not going to marry ever 🙂 but i just thought about the possibility of not marrying at all… I just trust God will lead me to the right path .. whatever it is… so true, the world today places so much value on a woman’s appearance instead of her character 🙂

2. June
    Jan 04, 2013 @ 16:19:11

This is so spot on and I can relate. I try so hard to look older and it feels awkward to be called “kuya” by friends and acquaintances who are actually younger but look older than I am. I think it’s with the smile but when I don’t smile I look like a teenage snob. What a dilemma. 😀
    A friend’s mom gave each of us a tagline and mine was “Forever Young!” Fair enough it boosted my ego for a bit. However, I don’t worry about it now. The only person that I have to convince is myself and eventually, when I feel that my look is adequate for my age I believe that it will just radiate and make people realize that there’s more to me than looking young. 😉

• jackieB
      Jan 04, 2013 @ 16:49:57

yah, we have to convince ourselves that we are ‘old’ hehe but now I have learned to appreciate my youthful appearance, thinking that when I reach 40, I’ll look in my early twenties hehe

3. jackieB
    Jan 04, 2013 @ 15:32:44

Reblogged this on Green Girl Mag and commented:

In relation to my latest post about growing old in new year, here’s one of my archive posts on aging hehe

4. jackieB
    Nov 30, 2010 @ 16:02:14

yah, age appearance is not an issue. that’s why i wrote this post to show the negative side for those who want to look young :))

5. Julisar C. Anino
    Nov 30, 2010 @ 15:37:58

It’s good to look young and being called as a young person(gender). We can’t choose our age and even how we look. Science(Human Related), does not say that you would look like this if you get at this age, it’s just a matter of enjoying and being thankful with the gift. The truth is, I look five years older than my age. As I can remember, when I was 16, I almost got a job just because I look like a 21 year old guy. If they haven’t asked for a Birth Certificate, I could have finished college because I have enough money to pay my tuition. If looking young is a big issue, then let’s switch places… I can do a lot of things(in good terms).

6. jackieB
    Sep 30, 2010 @ 12:33:36

thanks for dropping by Joyce 🙂

7. wooljima
    Sep 30, 2010 @ 07:19:49

Nice one Jackie! ^^ I’m speechless, hehe. Maybe because I’ve never seen beauty products from the point of view of someone who wants to look older… 🙂